Purpose: To provide all high school theatre arts students of Cumberland County an environment where they can develop their acting ability, and knowledge of the theatre to the fullest.
Participation: Participation in the academy is open to all High School Students in Cumberland County. Students must meet all general requirements for the 71st Arts Academy then:
- Students must perform a 1-2 minute monologue and provide a copy of it at the time of audition (original monologues will be accepted). Have an informal interview and perform improvisational activities with the other auditionees.
- Complete recommendation form from current principal, guidance counselor and/or teachers. This recommendation should speak to the student’s classroom performance in all subjects and especially their behavior in the school environment.
- Students may continue to participate as long as they complete all requirements of the program. This will include successful progression through the performance requirements of the theatre arts program.
- Each student will be required to take at least one theatre arts class per year and fulfill all the requirements. The director will assign the class. Students are expected to take at least one additional class in the arts sometime during their four-year high school career.
- Participating students will also maintain a 3.0 average in Arts classes (2.7 overall) while in the program.
- Students will be expected to demonstrate proper behavior within the entire educational environment.
- Academy students will be required to take Honors Level Theatre Arts classes usually in Grades 11-12.
- Students that fall short of any of the academy requirements may be removed from the program. In most instances the student will be placed on probation and given a chance to improve any deficiencies first. This includes student conduct.
Reassessment: Auditions for the next year will usually occur in the month of March. Each student will:
- Perform a monologue (provide a copy at the time of audition) different from the previous year.
- Participate in an informal interview.
- Student must submit a (1) page essay explaining why they wish to remain in the Arts Academy.
- Turn in the recommendation form from school personnel and proof of current school grades in all subjects.
Students will be notified of their acceptance or rejection upon completion of the assessment process.
Theatre Arts Courses: Theatre Arts students at 71st High School may participate in the following classes.
- Theatre Arts I, II, III, & IV
- Acting & Directing
- Play Production
- Theatre Arts Honors III & IV
- Technical Theatre I & II
Travel, Enrichment and Honors: Academy participants will be given an opportunity to participate in special educational trips and performances to enhance their arts related knowledge. Students will receive special graduation recognition at graduation from the Academy.
Published by Betty Houghtaling on February 22, 2017